I can't afford the fees – what can I do?

Sequestration | Guide

You have to pay the £200 fee to be awarded sequestration. Here are a couple of things you can do if you can't afford to pay it:

  • Contact a charity – There are charities that are able to help with the cost of some or all of your sequestration fee. Your local Citizens Advice Bureau may be able to give you more information.
  • In some circumstances you may be able to enter sequestration through the Minimal Asset Process (MAP), which is a simplified, lower cost route into sequestration. You need to meet strict criteria to be eligible for MAP. This includes having no income available after paying for essential living costs, and relatively few valuable assets to help repay your debts. Find out more about MAP in our detailed guide, which you’ll find here.

Next: What happens to my assets?

Did you find this useful? Share it with others!

Back to top

Further advice & support...