Tackling your debts

How to deal with a CCJ debt

Posted 14 September 2012

Find out which debt solution is right for you

Get started

Answer a few simple questions

See if you are suitable

Understand your next steps

A CCJ debt is one that that court orders you to pay. Don't ignore a CCJ because your lenders could take further action if you don't pay it. Speak to a debt adviser about your options.


It's very important to deal with a County Court Judgment (CCJ) debt, because if it is not repaid properly there are other steps that lenders can take through the court to recover what's owed. You could end up being visited by bailiffs. You could have money taken directly out of your salary. You could have the debt secured against your property - which means you could actually lose your home.


So if you're struggling with a CCJ debt, you should take action quickly. For more information, see below.



How we could help

Debt Advisory Centre might be able to find a debt solution for you. We provide debt management and Individual Voluntary Arrangements (IVAs), as well as a range of other debt solutions, to help people struggling in debt to get back on their feet.


If you have received a CCJ, or if you're simply struggling with your repayments, speak to an adviser about what to do next. We have a dedicated team that can help with your debts. 


If you qualify for one of our debt solutions, we could help you to deal with unsecured debts by repaying them in a way that you can afford. We cannot guarantee that lenders will accept a new repayment proposal, but in all likelihood they will do as long as you genuinely can't afford your existing arrangements. After all, they want to get their money back, even if it takes a little longer than originally planned.

What happens if I ignore a CCJ?

If you have received a CCJ for a debt, it's important that you repay it. If you don't, the lender could take further court action to recover the money that you owe. This might include:

·         A warrant of execution, which means bailiffs will visit your home.

·         An attachment of earnings order, which means if you don't pay, the court can take the money directly from your salary.

·         A charging order, which means the debt becomes secured against your home. If you continue to miss payments, your home could then be repossessed.


If you cannot afford the repayments, then you can appeal the decision. But you'll only have a short amount of time to do this, so it's important to act quickly. If you're really struggling, talk to one of our expert debt advisers.

by Sarah Symons

Back to blog home

Did you find this useful? Share it with others!

To find other sources of free advice visit Money Helper. It’s here to listen and give free, impartial, trusted guidance. Based around you and backed by government.